Friday, July 31, 2009

Freak Out





Well, we had our first official freak out tonight when the phone rang....

I was officially put on the list on Monday July 27th at 12:17pm. It was a special day because it was Simon and Matias' birthday. The official notification on that day just seemed appropriate. The week went by with not quite as much anxiety as I had thought knowing they could call me anytime...Anyway back to the phone call...

Tonight at 9pm, our home phone rang. If you know Rebecca and I, you know we do not use our home phone and you probably don't even know our number. Our phone never rings...I jumped off the couch and of course could not find the phone. I don't know where we keep the closest one. That is the truth. Rebec yelled directions to me.. I answered.. 'hello' soft tenor voice:'Mr. Greenberg'...'yes' (myheart dropped)..'This is Francis, Simon and Matias' camp bus driver, I will be picking them up on Monday...'

Back to the waiting. Becky (my lung transplant coordinator), is optimistic that my wait should be approx. 6 weeks. That is relatively short. It seems I have alot in my favor. I have a slightly higher than average lung allocation score. This is how they allocate lungs now. Imagine that. I also have the most rare blood type. AB-. I can accept A blood type or B blood type as the universal receiver, but those would most likely go to an exact match, but could be passed to me. However, there are no people my size on the list right now with AB blood. So, if an AB donor tragically becomes available, it would go to me. Finally, my size (height) is perfect. Most donors are men 18-34 with an average height of 5'7" to 6'2".

We are still debating whether to move down to Chapel Hill at the end of August. We will have a place on the 15th. We can stay up here though until they call. A great organization called Angel Flight will be ready to fly me down should the call come...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I also wait with trepidation and excitement for the phone to ring. Along with the hundreds, probably thousands, of people that the two of you have touched along the way. The future will be and is bright. I, for one, cannot wait.

Yameen said...

Love the blog, guys. Thanks for letting us in on the journey! We love you all.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I'm singing in my chair..

"Aaaah..freak out!" (Disco beat in background)

Love the blog and love you both!

Gayle said...

I am honored to have you dedicate your blog to me! I know this was a big decision for both of you and share your excitement and your anxiety! I am confident that everything will go well and you will be running the marathon and biking with Matias and Simon before long. I like your Phish song but have always thought of "Wind beneath my Wings" when I think of you! Love mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Mitch, Rebeca, Simon and Matias:
Lyzkita just sent me the link to your blog and I instanly signed up so I can keep informed instead of asking her every time I talk to her.
I just want you to know that I love you very much and that I am confident that all will be good because great things happen to great people like you.
Although I never get to see you, you are always in my mind and in my heart.
I know that you guys have Lyzkita there with you all along and I want you to know that Jeff and I are also there for you if you need us.
Lots of love and luck!
Jeff and Lizca Mathis.

elyserw said...

This is a really wonderful and special blog. We are thinking about all of you.

Elyse and Allan Weiner

Gale Storm said...

Love, faith and the words they invoke are powerful.
My heart and prayers are with you all.
Thank you for sharing this blog.
With much love, Neda