Monday, May 31, 2010

Back on the Train

Well, I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend! Cheers to all the Veterans and troops.

When I last left you all I was down in Chapel Hill recovering from the OR bronch and waiting on some test results. I was discharged late on Weds. night. Around 6pm, and I drove home eager to get back to maryland. I was actually feeling better and on the mend. The results turned out to be good. There was no current sign of any rejection! That was good news. All the cultures and tests were negative except for a positive culuture for the Rhinovirus. Basically, a common cold! Apparently, I caught a common cold a few weeks back. Makes sense, I had a runny nose, congestion etc. This was on the high dose of prednisone. However, it migrated to my lower airways. This is failry unusual and aside from new research available 5 years or so ago, they though it was impossible for the common cold to migrate to the lower airways. But new research has shown that indeed it can and cause serious problems if not addressed. However, with a virus there is not much you can really do except let it take its course, but you can make sure all other areas of the body are being treated appropriately.

So, they kept me on the antibiotics, and lower prednisone dose. I have been slowly feeling better. My chest no longer hurts when breathing. My energy and endurance is improving. I still am not quite breathing as well as I would like, but tolerating activity much better. I worked out yesterday and did very well. Again, my sats do drop when I start to really exert myself cardiovascularly, but I recover fine. I hope I will continue to improve albeit slowly.

It is just a very careful balancing game right now. My body is trying to reach a happy middle-ground with these new lungs and the immunosupression. Too much suppression and I get a cold or infection. Too little and rejection is possible. Also, my body experiences more side effect with more of the medications.

I feel much better though these last few days and hopefully will continue.

Thanks for all the calls, texts, voicemails, and a few posts. They keep me motivated. I do need to focus on the big picture and it has been great. 'Everyone dies, but not every man lives life', or something like that. Just read that the other day in a book I am reading. I have definitely been living life and enjoying it.

-Mitch

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for keeping us up to date......and hearing good news is so uplifting.
Renee

Jenni said...

it's always a pleasure to read your blog. you are doing incredible, Mitch! I hope that you know that despite the distance you are in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

Hi Mitch, Thanks for the good news. I liked your quote. Love, Lois

Lynn said...

Mitch,
I know you have been good at living life and keeping very busy for those new lungs. Glad that you keep getting good news from UNC and hope you feel better every day this summer. Love, Lynn

Michael and Denise said...

Woo woo, come on ride the train lets ride it, come on its the choo choo train, if you feel like dancing come on it's up to you! I say keep dancing, and chugging along. Glad you are feeling better :) Thinking of you guys always. Keep up the good work chief! XOXO

jean said...

Mitch. It's great that you can keep on going through all the ups and downs!! Not sure how you are managing but so great that you are !! Love your quote! Hopes for great days ahead. ! Love Jean

The Hawaiian Aardvark said...

Mitch, so glad to hear that things are better. You are the strongest person I know! Thinking of you guys, as always.
Lots of love,
Jenny and Pete