Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bronch with Stents Today

Short update. So, after feeling great last week, I think I mentioned I could slowly start to feel the narrowing returning. I was scheduled for the stent placement on Jan. 20th, but on monday, I was starting to wheeze much worse and get more short of breath. So, I called Chapel Hill and Becky and Dr. Haithcock agreed to get me on the schedule this week. So, today is the day. 3pm, to be specific.

My Dad and I drove down last night, I took him to the lung transplant support group which meets every other Wednesday so that worked out. It is a interesting group made up of people waiting for a transplant and who have had a transplant. We are now getting ready to head over to the hospital shortly.

Hopefully, this stent system will do the trick. Dr. Haithcock, generally leaves the stents in for up to 3 months and then removes them. Hopefully, by that time your body has healed and can keep the airway open without any further help.

I will get an update to everyone as soon as we can. If anyone is interested here is a link to the type of stent he uses. http://www.alveolus.com/tracheobronchial.php

-Mitch

4 comments:

Will Cramer said...

Hi Mitch,

Good luck with the procedure - that stent certainly looks like a nice bit of kit! I hope you come round feeling 100% better. Thanks a lot for your comments on my blog. Looking forward to your next update.

Will

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you, bud. Looks like this should do the trick and get you back on track.

Ian

joan said...

Mitch - good luck today!!!! rooting for you. xo joan.

jean said...

mitch hope it goes great ! we will be thinking of you love jean