Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Update Time

Well, another week or so has past. The last I updated, I was doing fairly well, and continue to do so. I went down to Chapel Hill last thursday, with my Dad, for a clinic appt. and then another OR bronch on Friday. It is getting a little crazy, to keep doing these OR bronchs. I am surprised my body does not shut down more. They do take a lot out of me, though.

The clinic appt. went well. My pulmonary function tests were actually about the best they have been since transplant, so that was encouraging. When they did the OR Bronch, Dr. Haithcock was pleased with how everything looked for the most part. He did do the balloon dilation in a few spots, eventhough he said the narrowing was not nearly as obvious as before. He felt there was no need to insert any stents, so I remain stent free. I still am culturing some bugs though, and the plan is to put me back on a short course of antibiotics to keep any bad infection from developing. So, I should start that any day now.

I return again next week for a check up and hopefully that will go well. It was my nephew Cole's birthday party over the weekend and it was at one of those bounce house places. Actually, the same place we had Simon and Matias' six year old party. I felt good enough to jump and slide and climb, so that is a good sign. The lungs held up pretty well.

I still continue to be sore around my ribs and incision area. Also, when I take a deep breath in, it kind of hurts in this same area. But I am not really congested, just feel a bit weak at times. I started back up with physical therapy and with the weather getting better, hopefully I can continue this positive trend.

We still have the family trip planned to Denver in a few weeks, so that is what is on the horizon. We are really excited for that.

So, overall a slightly boring report, but that is better then an exciting report with bad news.

I'll report back soon,

-Mitch

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay. Boring is good Mitch. We will take the boring with the good. You're doing everything right. Keep up the good work. Love Joan.

jean said...

super Mitch. hope rehab keeps going well... and to the Irish in you... (Greenxxxx) Happy St Patty's Day :))) !! Jean

Lynn said...

Mitch,
Did anyone get photos of you bouncing and sliding?
I'm still excited to see some skiing photos of you and the family, if that works out.
Love, Lynn

Unknown said...

Mitch,

I don't know you, but found this blog through one of the followers of my blog. Thank you for the insight into lung transplant specifically. I have CF and I am waiting for a lung transplant (I have children too). I appreciate your love for life and all the many posts about your journey. Hope your vacation is great!

Pulmonarily challenged,
Kerry

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are doing great!!! Big hugs for boys, I hope they are having a good time in kindergarten. I met Delaney's parents the other day, and she told me that girls were so happy to see boys back at school. Cheers to you all!!!! Kasia

Denise Fahr said...

With April being National Organ Donation Awareness Month I posted on my FB profile:

April is Organ Donor Awareness Month! Hit the "Like" button if you are an organ donor! :)

This should help people realize the importance and remind them when they update their drivers license that the can change their option and become a donor (if they want to).