Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brief Update

Mitch out of UNC-CH hospital yesterday. He stayed the night in a hotel because of BLIZZARD #2 up here at home. He is now driving home (Thursday morning) , safely.

End Results: NO REJECTION- acute or chronic from biopsies taken. YAY!

End result of cultures- Staph Infection in lungs.

He is on home IVs and they want him back for a check-up in 9 or 10 days.

At home in Maryland- we survived our second blizzard which dropped another 12 inches or so...there must be 3.5 feet of snow outside and giant drifts and hills from plowing.
I always wanted to live in Colorado. Now all we need is the gorgeous Rockies as a backdrop and I would have my dream come true....without them, its just a white, cold, mess. We wish we had had the foresight this past week to be cruising the Caribbean with Mitch's parents- geniuses, they are!

Hope everyone is well; Mitch will update with his self-report soon.
I know from what he has told me; he feels better, yet is still recovering from the infection, and is exhausted from this ongoing fight. It is sometimes, and, understandably and even appropriately so, hard to keep your head up when it seems there is no end in sight. I think we both feel this way, and are not sure how to go about dealing with it, except by exercising stubborn persistence.
Mitch continues to amaze me with his strength and determination.
He keeps on going no matter how tired he is.

We Just Hope that the infection will improve, the stenosis and narrowing will improve, he will get his strength and endurance back, and we can begin to move forward again.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Mitch and Rebecca,
My heart and love go out to you. You are my heroes. It is a tough battle and you are in it to win it. You both have the strength to survive...and you will...one day at a time. Hugs, Lynn

jean said...

I hear you. I am always in awe of how you and Mitch stay strong and keep going! That is the way for sure. Thanks for sharing with us. We support you always. Love Jean

joan said...

Yay - Great news Rebecca about no rejection. I am extremely elated to hear that. That's the best to hope for. Safe trip Mitch. Reba - all hands on for you. Love and peace of mind. xoxo Joan.

Anonymous said...

great news. 3 steps forward, 1 step back... time to go forward again! miss you guys--

eric & sarah

The Hawaiian Aardvark said...

Thinking of you both... you are both so strong and you will get through this! It's really great news that there's no rejection.
xo
Jenny

Vicky said...

Hi Rebecca, Will and I are so pleased to read that Mitch is home and improving. We're keeping everything crossed that you guys get the stability you need to recharge your emotional batteries, soothe your souls and give you the energy to get your heads up and feel positive. I know how hard I have found our journey and (touching all available wood, crossing all crossable digits) I know that we have been pretty lucky so far. You say you're amazed at Mitch's strength, but from over here you seem pretty amazing too! As Will and I sometimes say to each other - keep on a-trogging. Things WILL get better.

On another note, I was interested in your mention of probiotics in your last post. I've SO wanted to get Will on them in the last few months, but they are on the banned list we were given when Will was first discharged. Apparently the microbiologists over here reckon even these "good bacteria" can pose a risk to the immunocompromised. Anyway, I'm not saying you should take any notice, I'm just interested that they are considered safe across the Atlantic.

Sending you many many CF/Tx-wife strengthy vibes.

Vicky

Rebecca and Mitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.