Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bronch Day

So, it is around 1am Wednesday am. I can't sleep in this hospital, although the room is quite nice. Hopkins should take note! The rooms here are quite clean and not incredibly hospital looking. Although, this soap box is better for another post, I am just so glad to be here then Hopkins. There, the rooms they put the CF patients in are dirty, the service staff never cleans your room, you have a small tv, but get this you have to pay $15 bucks a day to use it and to use the phone! Meanwhile they are building a billion dollar cancer and childrens center! Go figure. I can't fathom that this much smaller, but in my opinion, finer instituition has more money to devote to patient ancillary services. I guess they find it a priority though, and that helps. Small things like these, ie. good food, flat screen tv, clean room, nice volunteers, help people get better quicker! Newsweek needs to take this into account when they always rate Hopkins number 1 in everything, it just simply is not the case!

Anyway, back to my health. So, today or yesterday(tuesday), I saw everyone, including Dr. H. (Haithcock). That was nice of him to stop by at the end of the day. He even said he was going to re-arrange and few things and do my procedure first thing this am. So, that should be in a few hours. I know how things go though, and I know they have all kinds of rounds and transplant meetings weds. mornings, but the idea is to do me before this! He is so re-assuring. He told me simply not to worry. This is a complication that 15% or so develop and it takes time to treat, but he is fully confident it is treatable and the new lungs are fine. They switched my antibiotics a bit, so hopefully that might help as well. So, the plan is open up the narrowed airways (evident on CT scan), take cultures and biopsies, and also clean/wash/lavage as much junk as possible.

I'll have Reba update everyone later today or tomorrow. At least I got to hear Obama's speech and hear how hopeless and confusing Afghanistan is. I'd rather have my bronch tomorrow then get deployed there. Here's hoping it works.....The bronch and the new strategy (if you can call it that)..

-Mitch

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you had a great thanksgiving. Hoping the procedure is smooth and you are up and kicking in a few days. great news that the Dr. is active and being strong for you. Take Care

Michael and Dara

jean said...

Go Mitch!!! Hope today's procedure goes really well for you and you are back home in no time. Love Jean

The Hawaiian Aardvark said...

Good luck today, Mitch! Hope everything goes great.
Jenny and Pete