Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Update

Well, I hope this post finds everyone happy and getting ready for the holidays!

We've been a bit quiet lately, mostly because we have been a bit busy moving out of our place in North Carolina and driving down here to Florida! It took a few extra days for us to leave, but we left on Friday, the 18th, after my clinic appointment. We left just as the giant north east storm was rolling in. All we encountered was flurries that turned to rain on the drive down to Vero Beach, FL. Nothing like the 2 feet of snow everyone up north got. My docs cleared me to go, but on a close watch.

So, the situation is basically one of continued wait and see. This is partly driven by the holidays, but also giving my body a small rest. The narrowing/stenosis continues and at times is very problematic. I sound very funny when I breathe, ie. whistling sounds, vibrations, tightness, a bit of discomfort. It does vary a bit, but is fairly consistent. On friday, the chest x-ray showed the infection was improving, but with the narrowing which is not only at the anastomes, but seems to have spread distally to lower parts of the lungs, prevents me from taking in deep breaths and expelling them. Unfortunately, my Pulmonary Function Tests (test used to measure breathing capacity), were incredibly low. Almost to a pre-transplant level, however, if the stenosis gets controlled, there is no reason to believe these should not improve rapidly. My oxygen level remains ok, though, and although I continue to work out and exercise it is very hard to take in deep breathes, so I get very short of breath.

So, what is the plan. Hopefully, things stay status quo through the holidays. I will return to Chapel Hill the first of the year and Becky has assured me that some more aggressive steps will be taken to try and resolve this. Perhaps the more permanent stent? Not quite sure, but something needs to be attempted. This complication is a bit rare. Not so much the stenosis at the anastomes, but combined with the distal stenosis. About 6-8%. So, again I guess it could be much worse, but the fact that it is not the most common complication really presents a slight unknown factor.

It is nice to be relaxing down in Florida though, and we all will drive back to Maryland around the 30th. Rebec and the boys will stay there, as I spend a few weeks getting things straightened out in Chapel Hill. I might be able to go home for weekends and things, and the hope is by the middle of Jan. I will be there permanently.

In a full circle scenario if you refer back to my post on 8/16/09, where Rebecca and I barely made it to the Phish show and I vowed to make it through transplant to see another show.... Well, timing is everything and the New Years run is down here in S. Florida. So, guess what? Thats right, I have my tickets for the show on the 28th!! Hopefully, that will be a great night before our return trip to Maryland!

Hope those that celebrate Christmas have a Merry one.

-Mitch

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Mitch, Thanks for the update. Glad you are enjoying your time in Florida. Hope you keep improving!
Love, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Mitch, so glad you are going to the Phish concert. That is awsome. I know you will enjoy it. Happy New Year!

Mary Chesley Finley

Joan said...

Hi Mitch and Reba and Simon and Matias!!! Hope Santa brings you nice deep breaths and a fun transition back home. We send you our love and continued hopes and dreams that you feel better and better. 2010 has your name written on it for a marathon or two. Love and Hugs & some good Florida sunshine wishes to you. Hope you get the supreme surfing lesson from Peter that Scott and I got. I have outside fun envy. Love always, Roger, Joan, Ann & Scott. xoxoxoxoxox

jean said...

Mitch Good Luck !!! Love Jean and Paul

Anonymous said...

I need an update!!
Renee

Lil'Deb said...

Mitch!

Hi, My name id Debbie and I am a Phellow CFer, post TX from Colorado,(just moved to Alabama)! Welcome to the club!

Sounds like you are just a few months out. They are the toughest. I'll be 3 years out next month :) and life is beautiful. Made it down to Miami to see the Boys for NYE, but that's been the least of my adventures since my surgery.

I am so happy for you! I hope that when you are feeling up to par, we may be in touch. I don't use my gmail account and can't quite get the hang of this blog thing, but I REALLY wanted to sy hi to you and offer my support. I would love to hear from you!

dncox3@comcast.net

(I'm sure you already know, but DWD was 1st song of the new decade! Fittin', ain't it?)

Love to you and your beautiful family,

Debbie Cox

"Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts" -Thich Nhat Hanh