Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's Official! 2 months!

Thats right, today is the 2 month mark. November 8th, 2009. I decided to use the 8th as the day even though the surgery was not finished until the 9th. So, just a quick update for now.

I had the bronchoscopy procedure done on Thursday November 5th. It showed that I have narrowing in the airways on both sides. What this basically means is that for whatever reason around where they made the airway connections (anastomes) there is what they call Stenosis or narrowing of the airways. I actually still have a somewhat minor understanding of it, as I have not directly spoken with any doctors since the bronchoscopy. However, I have spoken with Becky, my coordinator and what the team wants to do is another bronchoscopy in the OR, called a rigid bronch. This way they are prepared to correct the problem using a rigid scope that provides for more options and a better look. There are a few different methods they can use and it should be very effective. The methods range from washing/cleaning, using a balloon, or a stent. Sort of like opening up blocked arteries in heart patients. I should get immediate relief from this wheezing and asthma like breathing I have been dealing with lately. The last 4-5 days especially the wheezing and shortness of breath with minor activities has become worse, so I am eager to get this procedure done. It is just a small bump in the road and hopefully they will check everything out and this will be it. It could be a much worse complication.

Overall though, I have to say I am doing quite well. Despite this unfortunate breathing issue, my strength continues to improve. I can still tolerate exercise, just a bit tougher, my body continues to heal very well. I just have some bruising like pain still around my incision, ribs and sternum right where the cuts were made. But this is very manageable and I can tolerate it.

So, hopefully when we do this procedure it will be full steam ahead again. I will post everyone when I find out when the procedure is scheduled for...I'm hoping for ASAP...

-Mitch

1 comment:

jean said...

We wish you great luck and good results on this and continued recovery and strength.!! Love jean and paul