Thursday, October 8, 2009

1 Month Out Today!

Today marks the one month date after the transplant. I know the blog has gotten a bit slow and mundane as of late.

However, today is a nice accomplishment. I wish I had posts for you all everyday telling you about how incredible I am doing and how I am running, jumping, driving, and just plain skipping along. But the truth is it is a slow moving process from here on out. Alot of people have been mis-informed with my posts when I say I am home! Well, we are home, but it is our second home here in North Carolina. We need to stay here for at least 3 months, and that is if everything goes perfectly.

I continue to improve at a steady level, but those landmarks are just not daily like they were. However, this past week, I continue to do more and more. I go to rehab 3 times a week, and have been able to ride a stationary bike and pseudo stairmaster for up to 20 minutes with resistance and 1-3 short breaks in between. I could not do this before transplant. The weird thing is my muscles are what really keeps me from getting stronger. My legs are so deconditioned as is my upper exteremities (which I can not do any resistive exercise with for another couple weeks, because they broke my sternum). So, there I just stretch. All of these meds prevent muscles from re-building properly so they stay sore and ache consistently.

But I realize I have made huge progress!! I did my rehab the other day and had alot of energy! I took the Chapel Hill free bus service (amazing) from the hospital back to where we live. There Reba is assistant coach of the boys soccer team and practice was still going on, so I walked to the fields and watched the end of practice. It was nice for the other parents to see me moving around and the boys were happy.

So, things are going well. I continue to adjust to the meds. A few more were stopped, a few started, but their was a net loss of meds. In about 2 more weeks they may start to reduce some of the dosages, that would be nice.

Reba and the boys are enjoying it here. We can walk to so much, there is alot to do, and most of it is free. It is such a nice college town. Thanks for all the well-wishes and if anything interesting occurs, I will put it down...


-Mitch

4 comments:

joan said...

Hey Mitch - in no way are the posts ever mundane. I read them like they are a great snack. I cannot wait to hear how you're conquering each day. Your accomplishments are huge and amazing. Continued strength and will to you. xoxxo love you all and think of you all often. Joanie baloney.

Anonymous said...

Dude,
You are being way to hard on yourself and a little bit pessimistic. Think about what you did....rehab, bus ride(walk to and from the bus), walk to soccer, stand around at soccer, walk home. Now think back to pre-tx and which of those things could you do, much less back to back to back. You are making great progress (enviable from my viewpoint) and you need to relish every day. Remember taht no matter what the day feels like, it's still a day. They are all sprinkles on the sundae and from the sound of things, pretty soon you won't be able to see the ice cream.
Ian

Lynn said...

Hi Mitch, Hope you can be thankful each day for what you have accomplished. I liked the comment on the blog from a physican who told you "it doesn't get any better than this". Keep up the hard work and one day you'll realize you are enjoying yourself there with your family!
With tons of love and respect for you, Lynn

Denise and Michael Buttress said...

Hang in there! You are doing great and before you know it you will be doing cartwheels and backflips! Reba, coaching soccer, how fun and she knows about soccer, I think she's played it a few times, hehe.

Get those lungs ready to cheer for the gators this weekend, I think we will be fine weather superman plays or not, saw LSU last weekend and was not impressed. Keep up the great work :) You are all amazing :)