Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Six Weeks Today!-But whose counting?

That's right today is the official six week mark since transplant. Things have been going exceptionally well the last week. I continue to improve my stamina everyday. Today, I started driving again and although I drove some short distances last week (doctors and transplant coordinators ignore the last statement), it felt really good to regain independence. I had a full day today when I got going around 8 and went to breakfast. Then I went to some special off-site building and tried to get a copy of my hospital bill, so I could file some insurance claims. Apparently, it is 170 pages long and they could not print it out from this particular building?? And this was the "special" building, mind you! The person working there also said it was not quite ready yet, to be summarized?? Not sure why, it has been almost a month. Either way, it gave me something to do.

When the boys got home from school, I took Matias to the mall to try and buy him some clothes. He is very particular about clothing and is down to basically one pair of ripped pants as the only thing he will wear. So, it was my turn to try my luck at finding something. He did agree on 3 pairs of pants, lets see if he will wear them.

The point of all this is I did this basically very easily. I was not coughing, not tired, not agitated, and breathing very well. It is amazing how much has changed the last week or so. I go to Rehab again tomorrow and plan on taking some photos and introducing you to my therapists on another post. They are the ones taking charge now and getting me to where I want to be. So, hopefully a more medical and informative post in the next day or so.

-Mitch

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! Looks like your head is getting in the right place and your body has no choice but to follow. Don't stop pushing... you're doing great! Today you had a great day, one in a long line of many more (it's amazing how great it feels to just go to the mall and do what you need to do,minus O2 etc., huh?). I'll try to talk to you this weekend although it sounds like you don't need me kicking your butt anymore.

Anonymous said...

that last comment was me btw.
Ian

Lynn said...

Mitch, Your recent good news just brightens up my days and makes me smile. At only 6 weeks it sounds like you feel better and stronger than before your surgery. You are beginning to sound like the amazing Mitch I know. Your family must be thrilled to have their super daddy back! Love, Lynn

jean said...

Good morning. This is incredibly uplifting! It's wonderful to hear about your days and feeling better. Thanks for sharing... we love hearing about everything. !!jean and paul

joan said...

Mitch - this is the news ever. A man who will shop. The surgeons have fixed everything.
Wonderful news - xo love joan.

Anonymous said...

Mitch sounds great. Matias loves to look at clothes but has trouble picking something out. Just get him gator stuff. Hope to see you soon. love
Dad

Anonymous said...

Only 6 weeks out--you're amazing! Keep up the hard work so you can get your butt back up here ASAP. We miss you enormously!
Love,
Lyz & Fil

willow said...

i am so glad to hear that you are feeling better, goofing off is the best thing in the world, cant wait to goof off with you guys soon.

Denise and Michael Buttress said...

So glad to hear you are doing so well, how wonderful, so inspiring. Glad you are getting a chance to get out and about and doing some fun things!! Did you see the game last weekend! Whew, nail biter, lets hope they do better tonight! Love to you all