Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Seven Weeks Out-Regime Info/pics

Well, today is the official seven week mark. I guess at two months, so next week or so, I have to switch to saying I am 2 months out, instead of the weeks.. It is kind of like having a new born, you know those parents that simply have to say how many months their babies are instead of switching to the year because it must make them feel emotional, or like they want to remain a new mom or dad. Example, 'How old is your baby?', "Oh, he is 28 months"..haha..
hope I don't sound like that.

However, I can't believe it is almost 2 months! Well, I still have a week and half left before that, see I am just not ready to believe it yet.

I was a little worn out yesteday, which was monday the 26th. It must have been from going away for the weekend and doing rehab in the morning. It really wiped me out, and it caught up to me a bit. However, I slept good last night from 1-7am (straight), that is an improvement for me. My nightime meds jack me up a bit and it is hard to fall asleep. Today, I really took it easy. Took a nap, did some light walking, but really used it as a day to recover and it feels like it worked. As, I write this I really have just one underlying issue that is preventing me from really feeling like nothing will hold me back. I continue to have a rattling, wheezing, rumbling sounds from my left lung area. This, if you look back through the posts, has been prominent since the first week. I have gotten many answers about what it could be. They range from a small infection right after transplant, ie. some left over congestion and old CF bugs to either a donor mismatch in size, to a minor repurfusion injury. The treatment, since this injury is minor, and they know this because the bronchs, my progress, blood-work, and most importantly X-rays have all been good; is just to have wait and see approach. But it simply is not resolving. Some days are worse then others, and for a few hours it is even gone. But at times throughout the day you can feel these rumblings with your hand and even hear me wheeze. It sounds like I am darth vadar. And it causes me to sound like I am short of breath (even though I am not), and also have an annoying huffing cough. Now, this is nothing compared to pre-transplant. But it is something that now that I am healing I am eager for it to resolve because it is the only thing left that is really holding me back. My new right lung feels like it fits like a glove and breathes freely and beautifully. I am confident my docs will iron it out before I go home...But I need to press this issue, and get it ironed out, literally. When you get a taste of feeling good, you or I just don't want to settle now for anything but perfection, if it is possible.

I thought you all might want to take a peak at what my new medication regime entails. Overwhelming at first, I am slowly getting use to it. The best thing is it is all pills (except for the diabetic shots), but I have been a pill swallower expert since 3 years old! The preparation of sorting all the pills, which I do once a week, takes a bit of time. So below is a few pics of my meds. Hopefully, a few of these will be cut out over time, but I don't mind trading these pills for what I was feeling like before. If this is what it takes to keep these new lungs healthy, so be it...


So, going left to right with the bottles, we have my Tacrolimus-Prograf(anti-rejection/immunosupressent), Cellcept(anti-reject/suppressent), Valcyte (which prevents me from getting virus' and such), Vfend(anti-fungal to get rid of aspergillus), High dose Magnisium (keep minerals and bones healthy), Bactrim antibiotic (this is just a preventitive measure), Prednisone (my favorite-anti-rejection/steriod), High dose Calcium (again for bone health), the box is just Prevacid/Nexium (prevent acid reflux which can damage new airway), and then the little pens on the bottom right are the Insulin pens for shots to manage the diabetes.


Here is just a close-up of my daily pill box. It comes to about 30/day, plus I do have some of my other maintenance CF drugs as well, but that is not too bad. Well, there is a glimpse into my medication regime.

Take it easy everyone!

-Mitch

1 comment:

jean said...

Hi Mitch. Your updates are fabulous... ! You are doing so well.. it is hard to believe that it is such a short time since you got your new lungs. I shall never be able to complain ever again about taking a vitamin and calcium pill :)) Love Jean