Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hitting the Gym With Kristen and Rich!

Hello All,

I meant to post this last week. The good news is the delay was caused because we have been out of town and I had no decent internet access. Last week, things were going well and they medically cleared me to travel for the weekend. So, Reba and I jumped on the chance and went to the Boone/Blowing Rock area of NC, for a quick getaway with the boys. It felt so good to get away and the boys really needed a treat from putting up with such a huge transition, living in such a strange place, giving up their friends, school, etc. We had a great time, but that is the next post.

Today's post is about my Rehab process. The below picture is of my two Therapists who are in charge of returning me to my world-class athletic condition! Come on, you all don't remember the day? Well, I don't either. Perhaps my expectations are too high. But, I do hope and intend to return or get into incredible shape with these new lungs. I would like to introduce you all to Kristen Bergenty, PT, DPT and Rich Crooke, PTA. They are two therapists at the UNC Chapel Hill hospital who have been and will continue to work with me until I go home. Kristen's focus and expertise has been in pulmonary rehab and she works with all the pre and post transplant patients. Rich has a background in track and field coaching and can add that additional focus on training and body awareness.



I don't think I have to point out who is who.

Without them, I would not be where I am even today. They have the expertise and have seen just about every type of outcome to know just what I need. They have been easing me into a more aggressive routine to make sure I progress, but don't get hurt or have any set backs. So far, so good. I look forward to going there and getting stronger and building my endurance.

In just 6 weeks, I went from this: My first walk

To This: Leg Pressing 300lbs!!! Just kidding, but lifting weights nonetheless!!
(doctors and clinicians please note: when picture not being taken, I do have my mask on!)


We wear the mask and gloves to protect us from catching any infections as we are immunosuppressed and this is a hospital. My strength and endurance is getting better everyday. My muscles and body still take a lot of time to recover, which means soreness and fatigue, but it lets me know I am improving. I have gained over 10 pounds since the transplant and there is no end in sight to that. I have been eating everything! It is actually kind of annoying, as I am always thinking about what to eat next and what time it is. Mostly because I have to monitor my blood sugar and take insulin, so it is not as easy as just eating all the time. I have to show some discipline and make sure I take the insulin. This diabetic conditon should improve as my medication decreases, but it might not. If it doesn't it is not the end of the world. The insulin shots don't hurt, they are just annoying. So, that is the update for now. Very postive, as I continue to move forward.

Talk to you all soon,

-Mitch

3 comments:

denise and Michael Buttress said...

What a great post! We are glad to hear you were able to go away for the weekend and good thing. I am assuming since you were gone you did not see the gator game! Well your not back in the hospital so I know you did not see it! hehe. It was another nail biter, the D played great, I'm sure you have caught sports center by now. ANyways I was laughing when you wrote about thinking about food all the time and how its kind of annoying you, I think about food 24-7!! Always planning my next meal but thats b/c I am a pig, oink oink!
I looked at your transplant pictures, pretty awesome, it took me about a week to go and check out the sight, was not sure if I could handle it but I put on a brave face and clicked the website :) No problem!! I was not grossed out at all, in fact I was intrigued by your new and old lungs!! Oh and your man boobs really aren't that bad :) Keep up the great work. XOXO

Lois said...

Great news. You do look really strong and healthy. Excellent that you are feeling positive and wanting to get in great shape. xoxo
Lois

joan said...

Mitch = soon you'll be on the wheaties box. Keep on going strong. Good job. I am so inspired by you. You will soon be running 5K's will Simon, Matias and Reba. Happy days. Love Joan.