Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Code Blue: Superman-Man of Heal


Taking a long walk yesterday with the boys. Giving them a free ride on the IV pole!

I'm going home today! Amazing since Friday, they called a code blue on me during my bronch procedure. I think I just needed a jump start. Because by saturday afternoon I was feeling much better.

This has been a long battle. I have a tendency to block things out including time, that is my coping mechanism. Before transplant especially, those two weeks were I basically was getting worse each day it simply does not seem like 2 weeks. I have been in the hospital now for 48 days. The good thing is it does not feel like that much, however as i get ready to go home the time will start to knock on my door. I will wonder how much the boys have changed, how it is almost September, the boys start first grade tomorrow!, football season is starting!, and I will think about those 48 days and ponder what is different. What is different is I now have two new lungs again. This sounds weird but these lungs just seem better and stronger, eventhough I am not breathing great yet.

Although I am able to go home, I have a long road. I still have major edema and need to shed at least 20-25 pounds of water weight. The doctors think with my kidney function being normal again I should shed it as I move around etc. which is more likely at home. I need to stay on blood thinners for awhile because of the blood clots I have. I need to watch my potassium level. The edema is mainly in my chest and upper legs. In the chest it creates pulmonary edema. So, my breathing is improved, but won't be great until I lose the edema from my chest. It is like I have a girdle on or something. when I try and take a deep breath in, a band of swelling just tightens and prevents my chest from expanding. Very annoying. Finally, I have some secondary issues like the nerve injury to my right arm. It is a mess, I have no bicep innervation yet. So, there is no bicep muscle, it is just flapped down. Some of my fingers are numb, and my forearm as well. so, it is very very weak.

But the bottom line is i am healing. I am breathing and feeling much better and moving around. I am going home on no IV's at all. however, I am nervous to take out my IV line in my chest as I have serious access issues and I know if it is pulled I will need IV meds in a week. The doctors agree it is safe to leave it in for a bit. So, we will see in two weeks or so.

Thanks for all the support. We have conquered the toughest hurdle and are ready for the next.

-Mitch

10 comments:

Gayle said...

Great to see you writing your blog and even better that you are coming home today! We love you and know that with you home, everyone's strength will return. It all begins with you. Love mom.

Anonymous said...

Home is where the health is!
I am so happy that you are headed home today, Mitch. Keep on keepin' on. You are an inspiration. You are a conqueror! I had to spell check that word by the way:-)
Love and good thoughts your way.
Cathy M

cynthia said...

I'm so happy to hear you are going home from the hospital. I am inspired by your positive outlook and your strength.

Yay for better and stronger new set of lungs!

Cynthia (Pickett) Steele

Denise and Michael said...

Hip Hip Hooray!! Nice to hear from you and glad to hear you are going home today, I can't even begin to imagine. You sound stronger and having those positive thoughts will keep you going. I knew you wouldn't let me down for football season! Get those lungs ready for some gator time and NFL if you like. Enjoy being at home with your wonderful family, hugs and kisses to you all!! The south florida crew :)

Anonymous said...

That is the best news ever! You will get to be home with new 1st graders and hairy Luke, and your wonderful assistant, Rebecca. I am sooooo glad. Keep up the posting please. I love hearing about your healing and pain. xoxoxoxo Mom

joan said...

Yay and hooray to you wonderful people. I am so happy for you Mitch and Rebecca and Simon and Matias. All good is being wished for you from all of us. Happy going home sweet home. Much love, roger, joan, ann, scott. oxoxoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Awesome news. Wow that made my day :D ! See you soon buddy.
Bob

Lynn said...

Mitch,
What a gift for Simon and Matias to have their Daddy home for their first day of first grade. Thank God you are out of the 'slammer' and home with your family. Sending all my love and respect, Lynn

Jean said...

Mitch, such great news to hear you will go home. This will be the best ! I hope everyday gets better and better. ! Love Jean

Andrea said...

Cheering you on from St. Pete, FL. One day at a time. I love the photo of you and the boys.