Monday, August 9, 2010

'Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin'

The dynamic duo who helped me all weekend make huge progress! My Mom and her dear cousin Gwen

It has been almost three weeks since they took me back for surgery, I guess officially that will be this wednesday the 11th. That could be the day I get out of here! Perhaps even tomorrow, but that is a long shot. Things have really progressed well.

I had my last chest tube, the pigtail one in my back, pulled saturday. This was the one they had to insert last week because they found a pocket of fluid. It feels so amazing to be tube free from all parts of my body. That is a huge accomplishment! My new lungs feel amazing! I don't want to get over-confident but I can definitely feel a difference from the first time. I can take deep full breaths, as much as I can with a broken sternum, broken rib, and a lot of swelling, but it just feels normal. No pains or gaps or noise like the first time. The lungs are clear and the chest x rays have continued to look better and better.

The last few days they switched me from iv lasix to oral lasix. I am on it because I am retaining fluid still and swelling. Well, the swelling has gotten incredibly bad, this is an annoyance but should resolve. I have gained about 30 pounds of water weight. I actually look pretty good at this weight lol, but it hurts. Last night you couldnt find my knee. If I elevate my legs it gets a bit better, but they and me want myself up and about. Not sure why I have the swelling this time and not last. The other secondary issue is just my nerve injuries and although a hinderance I am thankful for these lungs and will concentrate on them.

I wanted to give a special thanks to my Mom and her cousin Gwen Angster. Gwen came to visit and keep my mom company this weekend while Rebecca was back in DC with the boys having their party and getting more things. Gwen was so much fun to have as a visitor. It really kept me company. Plus she spent a lot of time at our place here cooking foods for when I get home. She cooked so many delicious sounding meals and muffins and who knows what else. I am so lucky to have such a great extended network of family and friends. Thanks so much Gwen it was so great to see you and I love you. It meant a lot for you to visit.



more posts to follow,

Mitch

8 comments:

The Food Guy said...

Sounds great, Mitch. Keep plugging along. It'll get better and better!

Best wishes,
Chris

Autum said...

So glad you are doing so well!

Anonymous said...

What a difference three weeks makes. Glad your bumps along the way seem minor, relatively. We hope your progress continues, adn can't wait to see you.

Love, Troy, Felicia, Izzy & Lexi

Lynn said...

Mitch,
I can hear the enthusiasm in your voice and the optimistic attitude returning! Hooray for the good new lungs! Sounds like you are on your way through that traffic light.
Love, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Just great to hear your positive spirit in the last several posts. Keep getting better and hope that every day is better than the last. All the best, Rob

Unknown said...

What a great sounding post. Fabulous! You sound really happy about your lungs. I am so happy for you. xxoxoxoxoxo

Joan said...

Hi Mitch - you sound so good. It is great to hear about how wonderful your new lungs feel. Yay. So funny to hear someone be happy about gaining 30 lbs. ha ha. Good luck getting exported from the hospital. Cheers to you for how hard you are working to make progress. Thanks to all your caregivers for all their love and help to you. Love, Joan

jean said...

Hi Mitch...it's great to hear about what is happening with you as we think of you often during the day. Hoping you will keep having good progress.
this is great !! a special salute to your Mom and your cousin Gwen!. Love Jean