Monday, August 2, 2010

Finally time for a proper update!

Taken today 8/2/10 UNC Hospital Day 12 post Double-Double


Hello everyone!



Well, depending upon how you look at it, this is day 11 0r day 12 post transpant. As Reba, so eloquently writes I was taken for the second transplant early evening on the 21st of July, out of the operating room in the am hours of the 22nd, only to return again for a few hours that afternoon. I have no obvious recollection of any of this, my first recollection is really the breathing tube being pulled mid-day friday the 23rd. That we can agree was 10 days ago. I have had a successful 10 days so far and overall. Yes, there have been a few setbacks, namely the other day, where I started to have an overall weak feeling, my white blood cell count was elevated, and I was just not breathing as well. Dr. Veeramachaneni (one of the other main surgeons) was all over it and ordered a CT scan. It showed a pocket of fluid towards my back ribcage area on the left side. So, off to the Interventional Radiology where they had to put another chest-tube into that area to drain it. This 2 days after getting one tube pulled. So, back to 4 tubes, however this one is in my back and is quite uncomfortable, but luckily a bit smaller. The tube immediately drained like a cup of old blood etc. and continues to do so at a slow pace. Yesterday, sunday, I felt horrible, It was like a rebound day I hope. I could barely get out of bed and had very limited energy and swelling. But I was also still weaning off some meds, no more epidural, no more morphine pump. Last night was much better and today have seemed to have turned a corner with my breathing and it feels as though it is getting stronger. So, they pulled a chest tube today! Back down to 3.



Progress is being made. It is very different this time in a few areas. I have much more swelling in certain parts of my body, my feet, ankles, my stomach and sides, and lower back. Not sure why I have the edema this time, but it is uncomfortable. It fluctuates. However, the pain associated with my chest and the ability to walk and move is much easier this time around.



One complication that is becoming slightly serious is what appears to be another nerve compression injury. This time to my right brachial plexus. But basically, my right arm bicep will not work at all, progressively my forearm is becoming more swollen and painful, and my thumb, index, and middle finger are very numb and painful. This has been getting steadily worse. Neurology is looking into this, but it is always going to take a back seat to the lung options, that is understandable, however the rate it is worsening is alarming, so tomorrow, I will have to address it more. If this was the only issue for someone they would be freaking out.



Not sure what tomorrow might bring, hopefully breathing continues to get better, swelling subsides, and my arm and circulation gets addressed a bit. Thanks so much for people who reached out to Rebecca and helped her through this. She has been the perfect spouse, caretaker, and mother through this. No one has her strength, understanding or compassion. My mom too needs some thanks as well. She has made sure, with Rebecca that I made it through this not alone and that the docs are constantly watching me.



I hope to post more frequently. It is great to be able to breathe again! I feel these lungs are stronger and fit better and should find this out in the next few weeks.



-Mitch

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitchell, you sound great. So glad things are looking up. You have so much strength and courage. I have to laugh you are so right with your comment about if I only had edema they would be all over it. How many times in our life has that happened. I can totally relate. The lungs are always a first priority. Keep up the good fight and know that you have a whole team of people praying for you.

Gayle said...

Mitch, I will always be in awe of what you endure. Most people couldn't handle just one of the issues you had last weekend. I will never complain about pain again! Love you Mom

Scot said...

Mitch,

It is incredible that you can write so eloquently just 10 days after your transplant. I'm thrilled that your breathing continues to get better day by day, and hope the neuro problems subside quickly. The photo of you with your sons is terrific! Thanks for the updates. You and your family are inspiring. Wishing you all the best.

Scot

Joan said...

Great to hear from you Mitch. You are amazing how you stay so positive. Happy to see the picture with you and Simon and Matias. They look so happy to be with their daddy. Always good to hear your news. Thanks for the update. Much love, Joan.

Unknown said...

Hi Mitch,I don't know how you do it, but your update sounded very positive. It sounds like your previous experience is helping out. Thank you for the update. Keep going with all that strength and positive energy. Much love to You and Rebecca. Mom

Lynn said...

Mitch, So good to hear from you! Great news about the lungs and hopefully by now they have addressed your nerve injury. How do Simon and Matias like your new clean cut style? Love, Lynn