Friday, August 6, 2010

Making progress

Hello everyone. It has been about 16 days since the transplant. Things seem to be steadily improving. I got my last of the original chest tubes pulled yesterday morning. I still have the smaller one in my back that they placed to drain the clot they found. They will probably keep this in for awhile just to make sure any fluid doesn't accumulate there.

I am up and walking much easier and breathing very well. My chest X-rays have greatly improved as well, so despite a still slightly elevated white blood cell count the team is very happy.

My neuropathys I am suffering from continue to be distressing. My right arm remains very weak, swollen, numb fingers etc. But the biggest thing is my bicep is somehow completely deinervated. I have no ability to use that muscle. My left arm also has similar sensations and weakness but all the muscles work. Neurology is following me closely and wants to do a few more tests. They did nerve conduction studies yesterday and it was horrible. It took 5 hours of needles and shocking etc. Good news was they did not detect any chronic nerve issues, however they did confirm the bicep is dead. Dr. Haithcock feels my brachial plexus got compressed during the surgery and in time the bicep will come back. Let's hope. My arm is almost useless at times.

So, the big picture looks good. These lungs feel so much better inside me. It is a weird feeling, but I can just tell, just like from early on the first transplant I had the sense on my left side that things were not right. I have none of this now. Just the pain of the surgery and my sternum being broken and rewired. The plan is for me to continue to improve over the weekend and possibly be discharged early next week! Then rehab will start. It is much needed as I have basically been bed ridden for close to 4 weeks now at least and my body has been through a lot of trauma.

Thanks for following and I hope to have some more positive posts soon.

Mitch

7 comments:

The Food Guy said...

Sounds excellent, Mitch. If it comes down to working hard in rehab, well, I'll bet on you every time. If the lung work well, the rehab will go quickly.

Will Cramer said...

Amazing stuff Mitch. It is so great to hear you say these lungs already feel better than the last pair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the nerves to sort themselves out gradually but I guess they can be painfully slow. Keeping my fingers crossed and I'm sure with your great positive attitude that you'll keep on improving. Well done and enjoy getting strength and fitness back.

Lynn said...

Mitch, glad to hear the lungs feel so good. That is BIG! Let's trustt Dr. H that the nerve damage will improve in time. Can't believe you may be discharged soon! Wahoo!!
Love, Lynn

joan said...

Hi Mitch - so happy to hear your new lungs feel good. You sound good in your posts. Thanks for getting the news out. Much love, Joan.

Unknown said...

Hi Mitch, Great news.That must feel good breathing well again,and knowing you will be home soon! I'm so relieved. yippee! xoxoxoLois

Michael and Denise said...

Hellooooooooo there!! That is great news, glad you are feeling better. Just in time for football season, the lungs will get a work out. We check on you guys daily, keep up the great work, one step at a time!

jean said...

SO HAPPY to hear of your progress. May you keep getting stronger. ! Love Jean