Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'm Back- Post from MITCH


Day eight is coming to an end and in a few hours it will be exactly the end of my eighth day post- transplant. Yes, this is ME, Mitch, I am writing my first post. What a tremendously harrowing, but remarkable experience it has been so far. I will try to recap a bit of the first week as best I can, but bear with me and my thoughts, as not much is still clear and I am still in a some very real pain.

I don't remember the first few days well. I do remember bits and pieces though, and I definitely remember waking up around 6am that first morning, in complete panic with the breathing tube in, another tube shoved down my throat (i guess into my stomach), and just complete pain and misery. Sometime around 10am or so, they did pull my breathing tube and that other tube and replaced them with a ng stomach tube. Still horrible, but better.

I guess less then 12 hours for the breathing tube is a great sign. I do remember though when they pulled the breathing tube, my body took this huge deep breath with its NEW Lungs! It was both incredible and overwhelming at the same time. For a split second I thought it was going to be complete piece of cake sailing from here on out, but almost instantaneously my body felt like it awakened as well, and I suddenly felt the weight of the surgery, the discomfort of a tube in every hole, 4 iv lines, and 4 huge chest tubes ripping through my body. The battle had just started.....

And here is how it has progressed the last week. About as good as everyone can expect. Sure there are some setbacks, but mostly steps forward. Pain slowly gets more manageable, I have bad hours now, instead of total bad days, I can walk better, with less help. I still have 4 huge chest tubes in which they want to leave a few more days to be on the safe side, so it is not expected that I will be able to get deep breaths or feel better until they are out. I have to trust their opinion, I don't want to rush something so fragile. However, 4 weeks ago I had one tiny chest tube and this one is 4 times the size and 4 as many. So, I can not believe I can move with them in there. I hope to continue the next few days getting my strength back and getting my body feeling somewhat normal.

Thank you to all my friends and family, keep the messages coming it helps with motivation, even if you don't hear directly from me. It is such an ordeal to try and get situated to write a message.

Finally, a message to my donor. Someone who gave the ultimate most selfless gift. Not only them but their family as well. Thank You, I say those words, Thank You with my breath every night..

-Mitch
09/16/09

20 comments:

Rebecca and Mitch said...

You are amazing. I am so in love with you. i can't wait to see you running and playing and laughing with your new lungs. Love, R

Anonymous said...

You are guys amazing!!! I couldn't stop crying when I read this. I will keep your family in my prayers. So so HAPPY for you. Mitch I'm sure everyday will be a better day.
Big hugs and kisses for Simon and Matias. I hope their kindergarten is going well. Best of all Kasia

joan said...

Mitch - I love thinking about you breathing away with your new lungs. It was wonderful hearing from you. Wishing and hoping that you have some good drinks soon and even longer walks. Rest up. Sweet dreams. Love, Joan.

Unknown said...

So great to hear from you.

Leah, Eric and Ilana said...

Wow...and the tears roll. So great to hear from you, Mitch!! We have been praying hard and have been thinking of you constantly. You truly are such a survivor...and an inspiration to us ALL!! L'Shanah Tovah...talk about a SWEEEEEET New Year!! All my love! Leah xo

Unknown said...

This is the best post so far, Mitch, because it's from YOU!! That's a terrific sign of the great progress that you are making. It is wonderful! Keep up the good work!

Steve Nason said...

Looking good, Greeny!!!!

So glad things are going well.

Keep it up.

Nason

jean said...

Mitch... It is so great to read your inspiring and touching comments... May today be even better than yesterday. Love Jean

Denise and Michael Buttress said...

We are loving the picture! This is looking great and again, I need a kleenex every time I read the blog, such wonderful and amazing things are happening! Those new lungs can get a work out during this football season!! SWEET!! Miami and GA tech play tonight, should be good, though we are not fans of either team we will be going for Georgia Tech, as we can NEVER root for Miami! Gators and Tennessee 3:30pm on Saturday, hopefully you can watch!! Love you guys!!

Gayle said...

Oh, Mitchey, it is so good to read your post. You have made everyone so happy with your progress. I know this will be a great year and am excited to be ushering in the New Year with your great news. Can't wait to see you running and playing with Matias and Simon. Love mom

Anonymous said...

Really great to hear from the man himself. We're all taking those steps with you buddy. All our best for a healthy and happy new year - Rob and Rachel

Anonymous said...

Mitch, it's so great to hear from you! You are amazing and sound fantastic!

Lots of love, Jenny and Pete

Anonymous said...

Wow - I continue to be so amazed at both of you. I'm so glad to hear that things are going so well. It is just amazing to me that Mitch is already up, walking around and writing blogs! So glad things are going well and thank you so much for allowing us to 'ride along' on your journey with these notes... Good luck and we can't wait to welcome you back home!!!
- Beth (and the rest of the Moons)

Anonymous said...

mitch...so great to hear from you.

you're looking good. its great to see your smile.

keep the faith and we will see you soon.

happy new year for the entire greeny family

the k's...michael and dara

Anonymous said...

awesome post mitchy. hopefully they kept the TV away from your room long enough so you didnt have to witness the Skins game. ugh. i missed not being able to commisserate with you throughout - even I was pissed with JC. keep up the great work - we are thinking bout you often and can't wait for the next update!

-Eric & Sarah

Unknown said...

Good to see all is on the up and up, keep is updated, you are in our thoughts, I will try to catch a flight to NC the 2nd week or so in october for a day or two, we'll talk.

Jim C

Lois said...

Wow! Reading your post was awesome. All of us on the side lines are feeling so emotional and happy and surprised and awed. Thank you, Mitch, for all that energy and bravery!

Harry St.Ours said...

So cool to read your actual post AND see the great big "V" for victory sign. We're loving it! Now just be a good little patient and do what the doctors say. That way we get to see you again real soon back up north! -Harry

Anonymous said...

Thrilled to see this post from you, dude, glad you are doing so well. Hang in there, keep in going, and you'll be outrunning the boys in no time. Can't wait to see you guys. Thank you and Reba for keeping us all up to date, we're all right there with you. - Douglas

Steve Totten said...

Mitch,
Great to hear that you are healing up. Keep up the fight. I have heard that Simon and Matias have officially started their soccer careers. I am pretty sure that they are too young to legally recruit at this point. Though maybe not in basketball.

The Tigers have started the season at 3-0. A far cry from last year. Trying to work on our NCAA bid. It was a good feeling going down to American and winning 3-0.

Steve