Monday, July 12, 2010

Mitch at UNC Hospital : Update

I wanted to write a little update; Mitch is not up to it lately. Mitch was admitted down here at UNC last Wednesday after shortness of breath which was not controlled on home oxygen.

Mitch's respiration is severely declining; oxygen use is up every day, and ability to tolerate activity is way down. We are puzzled at the rapid decline. There are no answers.

Although Mitch spoke about having a while to make this decision of re-transplantation, the decision seems to have been made for him- there is no time to think- we need him back on the list ASAP and are hoping for the best.

The transplant team came in this morning and talked with him briefly about the testing that had to be completed to resubmit the paperwork to the insurance company, and sign the final informed consent, to a treatment which we now know much more about when we were in this position last year- it's result unknown and the process abundantly harsh and torturous for the patient and compassionate bystanders and loved ones. However, the alternative is not an option, it never was.

I hope you can support our choice and cheer Mitch on to do what he does best: survive and inspire. I am eternally witnessing a graceful spirit who never gives up, always finds beauty and love in the presence of hardship, and never thinks about himself before others. It is an honor to write on his behalf and be by his side on this very challenging and nearly impossible quest. My best friend of 16 years and husband of 10 years is the most amazing, beautiful, and inspiring person on the planet, I say.

18 comments:

Jesse Petersen (CF Fatboy) said...

I'm cheering you on. Go for the double-double!

Vicky said...

Rebecca, I can't tell you how hard Will and I are cheering for Mitch right now. And for you. We so hope the re-listing process is smooth and fast and that second call comes soon. Will met a CFer at tx clinic who is on his second pair of new lungs and doing well. Keep on keeping on.

Love, Vicky and Will

Denise and Michael said...

We are sending all of our positive energy your way! You both are so inspiring, lets keep it going, rah rah rah! Cheering and loving you all the way from south florida!

Anonymous said...

Mitch,
I check your blog every day hoping for a new entry. I'm goin to be listing soon and you've been such an inspiration to me. I'll be thinking of you, hoping for the best, as you begin your new journey.
A reader, Barbara

Anonymous said...

Mitch and Rebecca,
I am a friend of your Mom's and we coincidentally saw your parents at UNC the morning you received your new lungs while our 9 year old, Wells, was there for a CF checkup. Please know that all of you are very much in our thoughts as you embark on the next journey....you have an amazing support system and that will help you through everything!! You are a true inspiration to so many.

Much Love,
Kelli Clark

Unknown said...

Mitch and Rebecca,

You are both amazing, inspiring, and beautiful. Go forth and survive! Love, Mom

joan said...

Dear Mitch,

Our thoughts are of you. You know what they say "second times a charm." At this moment all seems small compared to what you are endeavoring to do. I wish you a successful re-transplant. Know that though the little tasks that make up a day continue, throughout all of them my heart and thoughts are for you and for your new lungs breathing with you. Much love, joan.

jean said...

We are by your side Mitch. Fight strongly and may your new lungs be soon! Love Jean and Paul

Barry Zoob said...

Mitch: This serenity prayer is something we turn to often when we are facing a difficult challnge.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Mitch, please have the courage to trust the process and use all of your strength to achieve your desired outcome. We are thinking of you and you and your family are in our prayers..

Regards...Barry & Nora Zoob-Omaha

Anonymous said...

My money is on you Mitch!! I see a great book in the making!
Love
Renee

Anonymous said...

My money is on you Mitch. I see a great book in the making!
Love
Renee

Neda said...

Wishing you my brightest hopes and strongest prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mitch,

You don't know me, but I hear of you from your Mom. I'm rooting for you just as hard as I can.

All the best,
Susan S.

sean epstein said...

mitch,
2nd set is always the best. We are cheering for you. love, sean, teresa and baby lila.

Unknown said...

Mitch,
A reporter once said “Do not underestimate the endurance of the Phish Fan.” If only they knew. I work with your mother and I truly believe that she may be one of the few people I know as strong as you. You are an inspiration to me and many others here at the Foundation. Good luck on phase II of your journey.

`Danielle

P.S. I saw one fabulous puppet show put on by two little guys rooting for you.

elyserw said...

Our very hopeful thoughts are with you.
Elyse and Allan Weiner

jean said...

Praying and hoping for your lungs to come for you soon ! Hopes for you and your recovery ! Love Jean

Anonymous said...

Mitch,

The entire Wishnow family is here rooting for you and for a problem- free 2nd go around! You certainly deserve it. You have an incredible family - Rebecca, the boys and Mom and Dad - how fortunate you are. Our prayers are constantly with you.
You are a true inspiration.
Love, Elaine and Steve Wishnow