Friday, July 2, 2010

SNAFU

I struggled with how to make this post, what the title should be, what the attitude should be. I simply have nothing except to be straightforward as my doctors were with me.

The transplant did not work. That's it. I went down on monday for the follow up biopsy I last talked about. I had the procedure that afternoon. It was called an open lung wedge biopsy. They sugar-coated this a bit. I was and still am in some serious pain. They went in the chest wall and took actual tissue samples of the lungs. I woke up with a few more ivs in place, an arterial line, and 3 holes in my right chest, one was a huge chest tube. Not like transplant, but close.

Finally Dr. Haithcock (my surgeon), Dr. Pedar Noone (the head of the transplant program), and Becky Cicale (my transplant coordinator), came into my room thursday around noon and sat me down.

They were very shocked and disheartened to report that the results were very conclusive and I was in advanced stages of chronic rejection better known as BOS or Brochilitis Obliterans Syndrome. Basically, my smaller airways are completely obliterated, scarred, fibrous, and tearing themselves apart. Thus the rapid need for oxygen and the ability to never feel as though I could breathe, or my breathing was getting better.

Given how rapidly it onset, how progressive it was, the unknown of how it happened, there is no viable treatment option at all. The only possible scenario would be for a second transplant. The pathology was that bad.

It was sad to hear this, but in a way I knew.

We are exploring our options now and thinking things through. I want to keep that thought process for another post. It is almost impossible to grasp the idea of doing this again, although re-transplant is not taken lightly and the fact that they would even say I am a candidate is a good thing. It is a bit more difficult, but they feel my age, newness out of surgery, and case history among other things make me a good candidate. But there are simply no answers to why this happened, when it started, and why it happened so rapidly.

Which brings me to my title. I remember one story when I first started working in OT, I was working in some nursing home and this old man was rambling about how he just had another diagnosis of cancer and was going to die soon. He was a WWII Vet. And he looked at me and said, "this is just a SNAFU". "You know what that means, kid" And I begin to describe to him the actual definition of what I thought it meant, ie. it means you hit a little road block.blah blah blah, and he cuts me off and goes, "NO God Damnit. It means Situation Normal: All Fucked Up!" I had no clue..You learn something everyday.

Thats what this news is one giant SNAFU.....

-Mitch

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that one day CF will stand for Cure Found.... now its Completely Fucked. We love you Mitch and we'll just do this one more time. Love mom

Anonymous said...

Mitch, I just wanted to make sure you and Rebecca knew that I read every word of this blog and that you are never far from my thoughts. Your strength and determination have been so inspirational. I also love how educational you have made this site. Know that you have a major fan club...even people you have never met are reading this blog with me, praying and cheering you on, Mitch. Rebecca, I love seeing the amazing mama that you are in the pics-and the one I knew you would be. Your boys are precious and "get" the important things in life already. That wisdom will last them a lifetime. Sending even more strength and love your way as you face these very difficult deicions. All my love now and always, Leah (and Eric, Ilana and Baby Gabriel) xoxo

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all the time Mitch. You've handled every obstacle so far, and I'm sure you'll get through this too. We're all behind you buddy.
Love Bob

Joan said...

Dear Mitch, Reba, Simon and Matias,
The news is heartbreaking. Tonight Jack, Deb, Roger and I toasted to you, your breaths, your life and your courage. Keep on trucking. All our love, hope and prayers. xoxo Love Joan & Roger.

Lynn said...

Mitch,
I have not even been able to post a comment lately because I have been so upset by the reality of your current situation. Life is not fair, you and your family deserve better. It just seems like the loads of love flowing from all of us to you, Rebecca, Simon and Matias should pull you through! Love, Lynn

Sharon said...

Wow. This is not the news I expected or hoped to see here, obviously. But if anyone can do this, Mitch, it's you. I've read your blog since day one, and I know how incredibly strong you and your family are. I'm sure you hear this all the time, but if there's anything my family and I can do for you guys, please let me know. We are thinking about you and rooting for you.
Sharon, Vic, Sophia, & Amelia

Andrea said...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." - M.A. Radmacher

At a loss for words, but please know that your circle of fans is larger than you can imagine. I always keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.
Andrea (Barber) Johnson