Saturday, July 17, 2010

Update-ICU equals new hair-do


Hello all,


Thanks for the coninued support. I have continued declining to the point where they switched me to the ICU thursdday night, however this has turned out to be a good thing. The main reason for moving me was related mostly to my oxygen requirements. The regular floors don't feel comfortable and are not set up to handle that. Wednesday and Thursday were very rough days, if I did any sort of exertion my blood oxygen levels would drop. I also had a lot of pain breathing in and my lungs and chest just felt very weak. It is a catch-22 type of thing right now, they want me to sit up and walk, even if it is just a few feet, but at the same time they want my oxygen levels to stay high. So, we are balancing the two as best we can.


The good news is I am being monitored much more closely here and getting extra help makes me feel less worried. Friday, I actually was starting to feel much better in the sense of much less chest pain and able to breathe much easier. That has continued into today. So, who knows what was going on earlier. I hope this feeling will continue until the call comes. It should be soon, I know your score goes up even higher if you are in the ICU, so my already high score is bumped even higher. Could be any minute.


Logistically wise, we were able to find a great place to rent again. Which Rebecca and my Mom were able to get set up and have already slept there last night. It is in the same neighborhood we were before, which is great for when the boys start school. That was a huge stress reliever, just not knowing how to coordinate all this again. It is not as exciting as it was the first time, when the whole experience seemed like it would be an adventourous journey. This time it is out of critical need. But once the boys saw the neighborhood they got excited and started asking about their many friends. So, It makes me happy knowing that they will adjust just fine, they have already established friends, the school is great and we can walk there from our new place.


So everything is shaping up for the actual procdure. I hope I can continue feeling the way I am now before the call comes as the beginning of the weak was tough. Rebecca helped arrange someone to come to my room and give me a haircut. It was quite the spectacle yesterday as all the doctor teams decided to show up right during my haircut. Thats the way things go. I told her just to cut it all off basically, so I wont have to worry about it the next month or so. Who knows, maybe the beard will come off before transplant.......(cliff-hanger ending)


Thanks for everyones comments as we prepare to do this again. It has been amazing.

Mitch

9 comments:

Tara said...

Hi Mitch and Family... You don't know me. I found you blog from Fahr's blog, from Piper's blog...
I have been praying for you. I am a 35 yo with CF. I will be keeping you in my thoughts...
Tara

Anonymous said...

Hi Mitch,
I'm thinking about pushing the red button on the phone outside the ICU door to come visit you!
We have been here all week visiting a friend with CF, Joseph Roberts. He is 20 and is on the list also.
We have been following your blog and were so sorry to hear that you were back for a re-transplant.
I will have to say that I feel like there is a celebrity on the other side of the doors, though:) We've only read about you on the internet, but not met you in person, ha ha!
We are praying for a very quick pair of lungs for you! You are so brave doing this all over again, knowing what you are about to face.
If you need some company - just call the waiting room and ask for the Roberts family or the Muldoons. We are out here to support Joseph and we are all thinking about you and your new journey (again)!
Much love and encouragement,
Marci Muldoon and the Roberts Family

The Food Guy said...

I like the new do. I had all of mine cut off when I got home. I hope the score is high and the wait short. You'll kick the ass of this thing. Hang tight; Candace and I are thinking of all of you.

Anonymous said...

Mitch you are such an inspiration. The haircut looks great. We are so glad you have had better days. We miss you. Love, Tracy and Terry

The Food Guy said...

That would be Chris Broom. Didn't realize that Google would pull the name from my long dormant blog.

joan said...

Hi Mitch -you're styling now and looking good. Love hearing all the news from you about what's on your mind and what's going on down there in NC. Glad the boys will be happy with school. Hoping with you for the call. Much love, Joan.

Lynn said...

Mitch,
At least something to smile about thinking about all the doctors surrounding your bed while you are getting a haircut! So glad that you are feeling a little better and stronger in ICU and hoping a good strong set of young lungs are headed your way! Sending all my love and hugs, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Keep on fighting and keep up the spirit. We love you Love mom

jean said...

super good cut ! you look great and i'm hoping for your lungs for you !!! keep up the good spirits. love jean